Allergy shots are a type of immunotherapy designed to provide lasting relief from allergy symptoms such as a runny or stuffy nose, coughing, sneezing, and itchy or watery eyes. Instead of treating your symptoms, allergy shots train your immune system to recognize and tolerate the substances that trigger an allergic reaction in your body.
Decrease Your Symptoms While Preventing New Allergies
When administered properly, allergy shots are very effective in treating chronic allergies. In addition to treating seasonal and environmental allergies, they have also been shown to prevent new allergies from developing. With allergy shots, you don’t merely treat your symptoms. You address their cause and strengthen your immune system. Other benefits include:
- You can treat multiple allergies at once.
- When your immune system has built up a tolerance to an allergen, you no longer need to avoid it in your daily life. This gives you freedom to participate in the activities of your choice.
- They can help decrease your use of oral medications.
- Allergy shots are also effective in treating allergic asthma.
- While up-front costs are higher, long-term costs are lower.