Myringotomy & Ear Tubes
- Keep all water out of operated ear. When showering, bathing, or washing hair, place some Vaseline on cotton ball and insert into ear canal. When finished washing or bathing, remove cotton ball and wipe ear dry.
- If antibiotic ear drops have been prescribed, place 5 drops in the ear two times a day until your physician directs you to stop.
- If any water does enter the ear canal, place 3-4 drops of the ear drops into the antibiotic ear one time.
- The presence of some light, pinkish drainage for the first few days is normal. A piece of cotton can be kept in the ear to catch the drainage.
- For ear pain, use Tylenol as directed or prescription medication as directed. The pain is usually not severe and will subside in a few days.
- Call the office for purulent drainage, severe dizziness, fever above 101.5 F, or facial weakness.
- Make an appointment to see the doctor in 3-4 weeks. Follow up times may vary and you’ll be given specific dates after your procedure.